Shopping Cart Abandonment – Rescue Idea #2

Hello. This is our second in a series of 4 or 5 posts about reducing and rescuing shopping cart abandonment. In our previous post on the subject, we provided some background on the issue, and led with our #1 post-abandonment recommendation: send them an email asking them to complete their order! Now, we’re taking it one step further. And please don’t think of this as stalking. If done correctly it’s not. There’s plenty you can do to reduce abandoned before your eager shoppers flee, but as mentioned we’ll tackle that in some upcoming posts.

We’re gonna focus on the #2 key action to take after you lost them.

AD REMARKETING
According to AdRoll, a self-service advertising remarketing platform, “2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. Remarketing brings back the other 98%. Remarketing works by keeping track of people who visit your site (via cookies) and displaying your remarketing ads to them as they visit other sites online.”

So let’s say a person comes to your website and leaves without purchasing. Maybe they placed an item right in your scart.  You can then use a service like Google Adwords, AdRoll, or Retargeter to display the ads you choose to that shopper as they visit other sites online. Here’s a B2B example:

Ad retargeting

Here’s some serious Ad Remarketing in action!

We’ve visited both Optimizely (we actually use it under a different account) and the very cool Insightly (gonna sign up soon!), but did not take action. Did we actually place these ‘services’ in a cart? Not really, but we got to the pricing pages and ‘create an account’ then left. So basically an equivalent action. And bingo! Here’s some relevant ads as I’m browsing around other sites. We’ve seen ad remarketing increase conversion rates and help rescue shopping cart abandonment by huge rates. Once again the costs for this type of marketing is low, and the returns are high, so give it a go!

Leave a Reply